Deadline to apply: December 15, 2016.
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Amman is pleased to announce the 2017 Study of the U.S. Institute for Student Leaders on Civic Engagement.
OVERVIEW: The Study of the U.S. Branch has sponsored Student Leader Institutes since 2003. This Institute is one of three Institutes on Civic Engagement offered in 2017.
The Study of the U.S. Institute for Student Leaders on Civic Engagement provides groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The five-week Institutes will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities within the local community. The Institutes will include an academic residency component of approximately four weeks and a domestic study tour of approximately one week. During the academic residency, participants will also have the opportunity to engage in educational and cultural activities outside of the classroom.
- be proficient in English;
- be interested in the topic of Civic Engagement;
- be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to return to their home universities following completion of the program;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
- have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel; and,
- be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
OTHER ESSENTIAL PROGRAM INFORMATION:
FUNDING: Through the award given to Bard College, The U.S. Department of State will cover all participant costs, including: program administration; domestic travel and ground transportation; book, cultural, mailing and incidental allowances; and housing and subsistence.
HOUSING & MEALS: Housing will be in shared university dorms on campus with common bathrooms. Male participants will be housed on one floor and female participants on a separate floor. Most meals will be provided at campus facilities, though participants may have access to a kitchen to cook some meals on their own.
HEALTH: : All participants will receive the Department of State’s coverage of $100,000 with a $25 co-pay for the duration of the program. Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS: Participants are expected to fully participate in the academic program. They should attend all lectures and organized activities, and complete assigned readings. Candidates should be made aware that the Institute is very intensive and that there will be little time for personal pursuits unrelated to the program.
Under no circumstances are participants allowed to arrive in the U.S. prior to the start date of the Institute or remain in the U.S. after its end date. Similarly, participants will not be permitted to leave the Institute to visit relatives or friends while in the U.S. If a relative or friend wishes to visit them, it will be addressed on a case by case basis in consultation with the ECA program officer and the host institution.
Violations of program rules, host institution rules, or local, state or federal laws can be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.
To apply, please fill out the application form using the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/5XaJQFC53QsKWk683 Deadline to apply is: December 15, 2016.
For further information on the program, please do not hesitate to email us at: email@example.com.