Fiancé(e) Visa


Important Notice:

Immigrant visa applicants are now required to submit the required documents in advance of their appointment dates.  Failing to provide a complete document package in advance will delay visa processing.

If you do not provide a complete document package in advance of your appointment, your interview may be cancelled .

  • If you have an appointment scheduled for your Fiance(e) visa, please see: Fiance(e) Visa Requirements
  • If you have an approved K1 petition by USCIS, please visit to create a profile and schedule your appointment. Please note this does not apply to Syrian applicants currently residing in Syria.
  • Important Information for Syrian applicants processing in Amman, Jordan: Interviews are scheduled by the U.S. Embassy in Amman, Jordan in order to help facilitate entry into Jordan. This applies to all K1 visa petitions received at the National Visa Center for Syrian applicants currently residing in Syria. For Syrian K1 applicants in Syria, please see information for Syrian Applicants at this page.
  • If you missed your appointment that was scheduled with the immigrant visa unit in Amman, please visit to reschedule your appointment.

If you have not yet filed a petition for immigration, more information is available here on how to file

“Katib Al Kitab” and Its Legal Implications

Please note that the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) (K-1) visa is created to enable you to travel to the United States in order to marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) in the United States within 90 days from your arrival date to the United States.   Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter (during the visa interview).    By signing a marriage contract (Katib Al Kitab), you are considered to be legally and officially married under both Jordanian and U.S. law, regardless of consummation of marriage or the holding of a wedding party.

If you and your U.S. citizen petitioner have signed the Katib Al Kitab, or intend to sign before travel to the U.S., you are not eligible for a K-1 visa.

If you have signed the Katib Al Kitab, your spouse must file for a family-based immigrant visa (CR1, form I-130).