Within the last year, Jordanian authorities have notified the U.S. Embassy of several disrupted terrorist plots targeting U.S. citizens and Westerners. In each case, those responsible have been arrested by Jordanian security services, and investigations are ongoing. We have no information of any current, specific threats against Americans at this time. However, the U.S. Embassy takes this opportunity to remind U.S. citizens that extremist organizations have expressed a desire to conduct attacks targeting U.S. and Western visitors in Jordan.
Many of these threats involve assailants seeking targets of opportunity. The Embassy advises citizens planning to visit Jordan to only stay at hotels with a visible security presence, such as uniformed guards and screening apparatus. Larger hotels, particularly those affiliated with major U.S. and international hotel chains, are more likely to have such measures in place. Further, U.S. citizens should only use established tour operators and taxi services, rather than ad-hoc services or offers from unknown individuals offering a tour.
U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. Report suspicious behavior or activities to local authorities immediately.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, and Country Information for Jordan.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Amman is located on Al-Umawiyyeen Street, Abdoun, P.O. Box 354. The telephone number is  (6) 590-6000, and the fax number is  (6) 592-4102. The after-hours emergency telephone number is  (6) 590-6500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.