Health Alert – Case of COVID-19 at the Fairmont Hotel in Amman (August 23, 2020)
Event: Case of COVID-19 at the Fairmont Hotel in Amman
The U.S. Embassy is aware of an individual who was a guest at the Fairmont Hotel in Amman and who has been confirmed positive for COVID-19.
The Government of Jordan is investigating the incident, and the Embassy has implemented isolation procedures for all Embassy staff who visited the Fairmont Hotel from Thursday, August 20 through Saturday, August 22 pending completion and review of the investigation. Please note that the Embassy is aware of only one confirmed case at this location and is taking these isolation measures out of an abundance of caution. The Embassy advises U.S. citizens who visited the Fairmont Hotel within this time period to consider seeking medical guidance from a healthcare professional and to follow any instructions they receive from the Jordanian authorities. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also recommends all individuals monitor their health situation and seek medical attention if they suspect they have contracted COVID-19.
The Government of Jordan mandates home quarantine for individuals who have both come in contact with someone who has been infected with COVID-19 during the last 14-24 days and have developed symptoms of the infection. Please see more information about local regulations here.
Important Note: The Government of Jordan has implemented COVID-19 measures that are required for all individuals in Jordan, including mask-wearing in commercial establishments, public transportation, and government facilities. It also mandates social distancing in situations where it is possible. Furthermore, individuals are encouraged to wash their hands frequently and avoid gatherings of over 20 people, which is the current legal limit in Jordan.
Please continue to visit our COVID-19 website for updated information and we encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive our notifications. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions not addressed in this message.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information about COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19: https://jo.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for more information about travel restrictions and closures in Jordan.
- Monitor local media for updates and adhere to Government of Jordan restrictions and instructions.
- U.S. Embassy Amman, Jordan
Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
Phone number: +962 6 590-6000, +962 6 590-6500 (after hours emergencies only)
- Email address: Amman-ACS@state.gov
- Embassy/Consulate website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Jordan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and follow us on Facebook.