Event: May 1 Comprehensive Curfew, Updated Government of Jordan Guidance on Movement Restrictions
On April 28, 2020, the Government of Jordan announced it will impose a comprehensive curfew from Friday, May 1 at 12:01 am through Saturday, May 2 at 12:00 am. No one should move outside the home during this period. Normal restrictions are in place from midnight to 8:00 am Saturday. For emergencies, call 911.
The Government of Jordan is allowing the use of vehicles starting Wednesday, April 29, 2020 from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm inside individual governorates only. Travel between governorates remains prohibited. Cars will be allowed to move on alternating days unless otherwise announced: only cars with odd numbered license plates (according to the last digit on the plate and zero is considered an even number) may move on Wednesday, and even-numbered plates may move on Thursday, followed by even numbers on Saturday after Friday’s curfew, and so on. Individuals under the age of 16 and older than 60 will not be allowed in cars. Private cars may carry no more than one person in addition to the driver. Taxis may carry up to two passengers. Residents in the governorates of Madaba, Ajloun and Jerash- in addition to the previously announced governorates of Aqaba, Maan, Tafilah, and Karak- will be able to use their vehicles, irrespective of their license plate number, from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm starting Wednesday, April 29, 2020.
The Government of Jordan announced on April 4 that borders and airports will remain closed until after Ramadan, which is expected to conclude around May 23. U.S. citizens in Jordan should be prepared to remain in Jordan at this time. The U.S. Embassy in Amman continues to look at all options to support U.S. citizens and as new information becomes available, we will share it on our website.
Please continue to visit our COVID-19 website for updated information and we encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive our notifications. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions not addressed on our website.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information about COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19: https://jo.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for more information about travel restrictions and closures in Jordan
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Monitor local media for updates and adhere to Government of Jordan restrictions and instructions.
- U.S. Embassy Amman, Jordan
Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
Phone number: +962 6 590-6000, +962 6 590-6500 (after hours emergencies only)