Event: New COVID-19 Health Restrictions
On March 10, the Government of Jordan announced significant changes to its COVID-19 related restrictions. Beginning Saturday, March 13, the daily curfew will now begin at 6 p.m. for businesses and 7 p.m. for individuals and will extend until 6 a.m. the following morning. Delivery services for restaurants and pharmacies will remain available until midnight. The comprehensive Friday curfews will continue and will now begin at 7 p.m. on Thursday and end at 6 a.m. on Saturday. As with previous comprehensive curfews, no one should move outside the home during this period. U.S. citizens in Jordan should be aware these conditions could change at any time and check regularly the U.S. Embassy website and media reports for important updates.
- Violators of the curfew will be subject to fines up to 1,000 JD for their first offense and up to one year in prison and additional fines for repeated offenses.
- There are limited exceptions to the Friday and daily curfews for emergency and critical work purposes. U.S. citizens are encouraged to check the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information. Most importantly, individuals with a valid flight ticket are exempt from the curfews for transportation to and from the airport.
- In addition to the curfews, all in-person attendance for religious services is suspended at mosques and churches until further notice. Starting March 10, all schools are also closed, and students in all grades, universities, cultural centers, and vocational training institutes will conduct remote learning until further notice. Nurseries will remain open. Public transportation services will be reduced.
- The following sectors will also be closed until March 31: nightclubs, bars, discos, and counters that serve alcoholic drinks, swimming pools, sports centers and academies, sports clubs, oriental baths, equestrian clubs, and public parks.
On March 31, the Government of Jordan will review these restrictions based on the epidemiological situation in the country at that time.
Please continue to visit our COVID-19 website for updated information and we encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive our notifications. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions not addressed in this message.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information about COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19: https://jo.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for more information about travel restrictions and closures in Jordan.
- Monitor local media for updates and adhere to Government of Jordan restrictions and instructions.
- U.S. Embassy Amman, Jordan, Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan, Phone number: +962 6 590-6000, +962 6 590-6500 (after hours emergencies only)
- Email address: Amman-ACS@state.gov
- Embassy/Consulate website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Jordan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and follow us on Facebook.