November 5, 2020)
Event: November 11-15 Comprehensive Curfew
On November 2, the Government of Jordan announced a four-day comprehensive curfew beginning after the announcement of the results of the upcoming national parliamentary elections on November 10. November 10 has been declared an official holiday. The official announcement of the election results are expected around noon on November 11. The exact start time of the comprehensive curfew has not yet been announced. The curfew will conclude at 6 a.m. on Sunday, November 15. As with previous comprehensive curfews, no one should move outside the home during this period. There are exceptions for certain medical emergencies and for people traveling to and from the airport so long as valid tickets are available should the vehicle be stopped.
- On November 4, the Jordanian Ministry of Labor clarified the comprehensive curfew is not considered an official national holiday despite the lockdown.
- In addition to the comprehensive curfew, the new daily curfew will begin at 9 p.m. for businesses and 10 p.m. for individuals and last until 6 a.m. the following day.
- The Government of Jordan announced all gyms, public swimming pools, and indoor play areas will be closed until further notice.
- Starting November 2, the Pubic Security Directorate announced it will begin issuing citations for individuals that fail to observe social distancing regulations and wear personal protective equipment (e.g. masks) in public places, markets, and shops. Individuals violating the social distancing and mask wearing order will be fined between 20 to 50 JD.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to follow local news media for all updates regarding the evolving situation in Jordan.
Please continue to visit our COVID-19 website for updated information and we encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive our notifications. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions not addressed in this message.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information about COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting
- COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19: https://jo.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for more information about travel restrictions and closures in Jordan.
- Monitor local media for updates and adhere to Government of Jordan restrictions and instructions.
- S. Embassy Amman, Jordan Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
- Phone number: +962 6 590-6000, +962 6 590-6500 (after hours emergencies only)
- Email address: Amman-ACS@state.gov
- Embassy/Consulate website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Jordan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and follow us on Facebook.