April 5, 2020
Event: Qatar Airways flight April 9, 2020
Qatar Airways is working to provide a commercial flight to the U.S. via Doha on April 9 at 1:15 AM.
On March 31, 2020, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Alert which stated, in part: “In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.”
The Government of Jordan announced on April 4 that borders and airports will remain closed until after Ramadan, which is expected to conclude around May 23.
If you are a U.S. citizen and you wish to return to the U.S. on the April 9 flight or future commercial passenger flights coordinated by the Embassy, please click here to complete our travel request form. The Embassy will use information collected in this form to contact U.S. citizens about purchasing a seat on a commercial flight returning to the United States.
Please consider the following information in your decision to complete this form:
- Commercial flight options to the U.S., if available, may cost approximately $2,600 – $3,000 for a one-way ticket from Amman to a first point of arrival in the U.S. with a possible transit (e.g., in Doha). Travelers will be responsible for purchasing tickets at their own expense.
- Travelers will be responsible for booking onward travel from the arrival location in the United States to their final destination in the U.S., either when purchasing their departure ticket or after arrival in the United States. This additional travel will be at your own expense.
- Depending on your personal/financial situation and support network, sheltering in place in Jordan may be an option. However, you should be prepared to do so for an indefinite amount of time.
- The Embassy will try to arrange transportation to Queen Alia International Airport if the curfew is still in place on the day of a flight. If personal vehicle traffic (including taxis, Uber and Careem) is permitted on the day of the flight, travelers may be responsible for their own transportation to the airport.
- Transporting travelers from outside Amman may require extra time and permission from the Government of Jordan. If you are outside Amman and wish to purchase a ticket on a commercial passenger flight, we urge you to do so as soon as any flight option is announced and to contact us immediately. There is no guarantee that last-minute requests for transportation outside Amman will be approved in time.
This form is not a means to reserve or purchase a ticket at this time. You do not need to contact us separately to inform us of the completed travel request form.
Once a repatriation flight(s) from Jordan to the United States is confirmed, we will contact you on a first come, first served basis based on your completed travel request form with instructions on how to make a flight reservation and provide payment. Seats may fill quickly.
The U.S. Embassy in Amman continues to look at all options to support U.S. citizens in Jordan, but there is no guarantee that the Department of State will be able to continue to provide repatriation assistance, and transportation options to the United States may be unavailable in the future. As new information becomes available, we will share it with U.S. citizens on our website.
Please continue to visit our COVID-19 website for updated information and we encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive our notifications. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions not addressed in this message.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information about COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19: https://jo.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for more information about travel restrictions and closures in Jordan
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Monitor local media for updates and adhere to Government of Jordan restrictions and instructions.
- U.S. Embassy Amman, Jordan
Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
Phone number: +962 6 590-6000, +962 6 590-6500 (after hours emergencies only)