Event: Two-Week Closure of Restaurants, Public Spaces, and Schools
On September 14, 2020, the Government of Jordan announced that starting Thursday, September 17, restaurants, public spaces, and most schools will close for two weeks. These closures will not affect access to grocery stores and health services, and most shops will remain open.
- Grocery stores and food delivery services will remain operational. Hospitals, health facilities, and pharmacies will also remain open.
- The ban on public spaces includes street markets and other crowded shopping areas. This ban also extends to religious services, including those at mosques and churches. All weddings and funerals will be prohibited.
- Regarding schools, students in first through third grades, and students in twelfth grades will have the option of in-person attendance.
In addition to these closures, the national daily curfew remains in effect from 12 a.m. for businesses and 1 a.m. for individuals. Since September 15, there is a daily comprehensive curfew in the district of Wadi Al-Safi from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
U.S. citizens in Jordan should plan for these closures accordingly and check for government and media updates on the situation, as changes could occur at any time.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information about COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19: https://jo.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for more information about travel restrictions and closures in Jordan.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Monitor local media for updates and adhere to Government of Jordan restrictions and instructions.
- U.S. Embassy Amman, Jordan
Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
Phone number: +962 6 590-6000, +962 6 590-6500 (after hours emergencies only)
- Email address: Amman-ACS@state.gov
- Embassy/Consulate website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Jordan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and follow us on Facebook