Event: Updated Government of Jordan Quarantine Regulations for Travelers and Minors
On September 22, 2020, the Government of Jordan announced that beginning September 23, individuals arriving to Jordan from “yellow” and “red” countries will no longer be required to go to institutional quarantine, but instead will be subject to a one-week home quarantine. The new guidance allows individuals to quarantine in their homes for one week if they have a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of departure to Jordan and a negative COVID-19 PCR test upon arrival at the airport in Jordan.
On September 21, 2020, the Government of Jordan announced that minors under the age of 18, who test positive for COVID-19, will no longer be required to undergo institutional quarantine. They are now allowed to quarantine in their homes for the duration of their illness or go to a government hospital if their symptoms are severe.
To ensure compliance with the home quarantine requirements, the Government of Jordan will conduct surprise home visits. Violators of these regulations will face penalties up to three years in prison and a JD 3,000 fine.
U.S. citizens in Jordan should abide by Jordanian health regulations and check for government and media updates on the current COVID-19 situation, as changes to government policies could occur at any time.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information about COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19: https://jo.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/for more information about travel restrictions and closures in Jordan.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Monitor local media for updates and adhere to Government of Jordan restrictions and instructions.
- U.S. Embassy Amman, Jordan
Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
Phone number: +962 6 590-6000, +962 6 590-6500 (after hours emergencies only)
- Email address: Amman-ACS@state.gov
- Embassy/Consulate website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Jordan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates and follow us on Facebook