Deadline to Apply: February 18, 2017.
Between the Lines (BTL) is a summer creative writing program that brings together young writers (between 16 and 19 years of age) from the across the world and American students for cultural exchange and enrichment. The Department of State is pleased to once again partner with the University of Iowa’s International Writing Program for the 2017 cycle of this program. The session in Iowa City will begin on July 01 to July 15, 2017. Participants travel to and from the United States in the company of an adult chaperone. The backdrop of the University of Iowa, located in Iowa City – the only UNESCO Creative City of Literature in North America – serves as inspiration for the students to grow as writers and provide them with the opportunity to explore cross-cultural dialogues on creative writing and literature.
Participants attend courses designed to both increase awareness of world literature and improve their craft, including an English-language literature seminar and a language-specific writing workshop (Arabic or English). Classes are be led by teachers who are respected writers in their own right. Extracurricular events and evening activities allow students to deepen their understanding of each other’s culture through their interactions with each other and with the larger community. During the session participants live in a residence hall and be supervised by live-in, trained counselors. The chaperone and counselors work together to help create a lively, supportive writing community. Travel, lodging and meals will be paid for by the Department of State. More program information is available on the IWP website.
- Be 16-19 years old;
- Be native Arabic speakers;
- Be capable of writing, reading and speaking in English;
- Be committed to attending all sessions and creative writing workshops as part of the program;
- Be passionate about writing!
The application must send PART I and PART II of the application to AmmanExchanges@gmail.com. (You can include your answers for PART II in the body of the email that you send to us).
- A writing sample of 6-8 pages of fiction and/or poetry in Arabic. Essays and other forms of nonfiction will not be accepted.
- A writing sample of 6-8 pages of fiction and/or poetry in English. Essays and other forms of nonfiction will not be accepted.
- A writing sample of 3-5 pages in response to the following:
- – Family, friends, region, tribe, religious denomination, ethnic groups, class, gender, race, work, neighborhood, country, political parties—in our daily lives we navigate between different markers, adjusting our speech patterns and behavior to the demands of each encounter, narrating to ourselves stories about how and why we come to occupy a particular place in the scheme of things. What do you consider to be the strongest, most central aspects of your identity? What does it mean to you to be a member (or be seen as a member) of particular identity groups? In what way does your identity influence your creative writing?
- A brief statement of purpose (no more than 250 words), written in English describing why writing is important to the applicant’s life, and what he/she hopes to learn at BTL.
- All writing samples must be sent in 12-point font and have one -inch margins all around.
- Basic information Needed: First name, family name, middle name; city of birth, country of birth, country of current residence, country of permanent residence, country of citizenship; gender; date of birth—month/day/year and e-mail address.
- You should also provide a brief answer to the question: “How did you hear about the Between the Lines program?”
- Copy of passport. Note: Students without a passport are expected to apply for one immediately upon acceptance into the program.
Please e-mail all complete applications to:
AmmanExchanges@gmail.com No later than February 18, 2017.