Event: Due to reports of increased incidents of violence overnight related to the ongoing protests throughout Jordan, U.S. government personnel have been restricted from overland travel between cities and towns during hours of darkness. These limitations are in addition and to those put in place yesterday for both personal and official travel to the governates of Karak, Tafilah, Ma’an, and Aqaba.
Road closures and related security incidents are frequent and unpredictable, and reports indicate that violence is noticeably worse at night. Violence in the Ma’an area has resulted in deaths. In some locations emergency services are experiencing significant delays when responding to calls for help.
We remind U.S. citizens that even protests intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. As always, please be aware of your surroundings and monitor local media.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid large crowds and protests
· Seek alternate routes around road closings
· Be aware of your surroundings
· Monitor local media
· Contact the police by dialing 911 if you are in immediate danger
· U.S. Embassy – Amman, Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
· Phone number (emergencies during business hours): +962 6 590-6000
· Phone number (emergencies after business hours): +962 6 590-6500
· Embassy website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
· State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update
· Follow us on Facebook