Event: Due to reports of ongoing protests, burning tires, and throwing stones at vehicles on streets and highways throughout Jordan and particularly in the south, U.S. government personnel have been restricted from both personal and official travel to the governates of Karak, Tafilah, Ma’an, and Aqaba until further notice.
Road closures and related security incidents are frequent and unpredictable, and emergency services are experiencing significant delays when responding to calls for help.
We remind U.S. citizens that even protests intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. As always, please be aware of your surroundings and monitor local media.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid large crowds and protests
· Seek alternate routes around road closings
· Be aware of your surroundings
· Monitor local media
· Contact the police by dialing 911 if you are in immediate danger
· U.S. Embassy – Amman, Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
· Phone number (emergencies during business hours): +962 6 590-6000
· Phone number (emergencies after business hours): +962 6 590-6500 · Contact the U.S. Citizen Services Unit · Embassy website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
· State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 · Jordan Country Information · Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates · Follow us on Facebook