Event: The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the security situation in Jordan. Reports indicate the level of protests and violence around the country, including the Southern governorates, is diminishing, with most incidents of violence occurring at night. Based on this information, U.S. government personnel may now travel throughout Jordan during daylight hours but remain restricted from travel outside of Amman or between cities and towns during hours of darkness. Some areas of Jordan continue to require U.S. government personnel to obtain permission before travel. Those areas are detailed in the Country Specific Information, which can be found on Travel.State.gov or the U.S. Embassy website.
While the levels of protests and violence are decreasing, sporadic incidents of rock throwing continue to occur, particularly along the Desert Highway. Police presence throughout Jordan is heightened, with increased road checkpoints. Travelers may also experience delays and traffic diversions as well as more internet/cell phone dead spots than usual. In addition, some travelers have been asked to stop and wait before being escorted as a convoy with other vehicles through certain areas by police.
We remind U.S. citizens that even protests intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. As always, please be aware of your surroundings and monitor local media.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds and protests
- Seek alternate routes around road closings
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local media
- Contact the police by dialing 911 if you are in immediate danger
- U.S. Embassy – Amman, Al-Umawyeen 37, Amman, Jordan
- Phone number (emergencies during business hours): +962 6 590-6000
- Phone number (emergencies after business hours): +962 6 590-6500
- Contact the U.S. Citizen Services Unit
- Embassy website: https://jo.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Jordan Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update
- Follow us on Facebook