The U.S. Embassy in Amman will close its passport pickup window on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 based on the possibility demonstrations may reduce access to the Embassy. The Embassy will be open for full services on Thursday, December 14. U.S. citizens should remain aware of the possibility of protests, some of which have the potential to become violent. The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions from local authorities. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
U.S. Embassy personnel and their family members are maintaining a low profile and restricting their personal travel to inside Amman. All Americans in Jordan are encouraged to maintain a low profile and to remain alert to developments.
For further detailed information regarding Jordan and travel:
· See the State Department’s travel website<http://travel.state.gov/> for the Worldwide Caution<https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/worldwide-caution.html>, Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts<https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html>, and Country Information for Jordan<http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/jordan.html>.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program<https://step.state.gov/step/> (STEP<https://step.state.gov/step/>) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· The U.S. Embassy in Amman<https://jo.usembassy.gov/> is located on Al-Umawiyyeen Street, Abdoun. The telephone number is  (6) 590-6000, and the fax number is  (6) 592-4102. The after-hours emergency telephone number is  (6) 590-6500.
· Call 1-888-407-4747<tel:(888)%20407-4747> toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444<tel:(202)%20501-4444> from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter<http://twitter.com/travelgov> and Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/travelgov>.