The 28th annual Arab League Summit will be hosted by the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan from March 23 – 29, 2017 at the Dead Sea. Delegations from over 20 countries will be in attendance. In advance of this international conference, Jordanian security services have announced enhanced security measures, which may impact movements at and around the Dead Sea.
The Dead Sea Highway will be closed from 1400 on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 to 1200 on Thursday, March 30, 2017. Access to both sides of the road between the Holiday Inn Resort and the Crowne Plaza Hotel will be restricted to drivers holding security permits.
In addition, there will be a higher number of joint security check points established along the Dead Sea Highway leading up to the restricted areas. There will also be a heavy security presence at Queen Alia International Airport, but airport operations are expected to continue as normal. Additional checkpoints in and around Amman should also be expected.
For additional detailed information regarding Jordan and travel abroad:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, including the Department of State’s Travel Warning for Jordan and Country Information for Jordan.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Amman is located on Al-Umawiyyeen Street, Abdoun, P.O. Box 354. The telephone number is  (6) 590-6000, the fax number is  (6) 592-4102 and our email is Amman-ACS@state.gov. The after-hours emergency telephone number is  (6) 590-6500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.