July 26, 2017
Due to reported unrest and the potential for criminal activities, the Embassy has placed several areas of southern Jordan off limits for personal and official travel for all US Embassy personnel until August 6, 2017.
The areas include the city of al-Jafr, all areas south of the city of al-Jafr along Highway 5 in the direction of Ma’an, the Desert Highway (Highway 15) between Ma’an and Aqaba as well as the areas east of the Desert Highway. The off limits area includes all of Wadi Rum. Please see the map below.
We recommend that private U.S. citizens take into consideration these restrictions and the additional guidance contained in the Department of State’s Travel Warning for Jordan. Travelers or visitors should adhere to Jordanian police and public security personnel guidance in the impacted areas.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, and Country Information for Jordan.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Amman is located on Al-Umawiyyeen Street, Abdoun, P.O. Box 354. The telephone number is  (6) 590-6000, and the fax number is  (6) 592-4102. The after-hours emergency telephone number is  (6) 590-6500.
- Call1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.