June 21 – July 05, 2015
Application Deadline: February 15, 2015
Between the Lines is a component of the International Writing Program (IWP) that brings young writers, aged 16-19, to the University of Iowa for creative writing study and cultural interaction. The theme of this year will be Peace and the Writing Experience.
During this program in the U.S., the selected participants will take part in creative writing workshops, seminars on literary topics, cultural visits, and local events.
The program covers the full cost of this cultural and creative exchange.
Talented young writers, between age 16-19 years, who show promise to become future literary figures in their respective countries and in their own native languages.
- Applicants must be proficient in Arabic and English (reading, writing and speaking);
- Past experience in creative writing both in English and Arabic;
- Ready to develop and share new writing techniques.
Required Application Documents:
- A writing sample of 6-8 pages of prose and/or poetry in Arabic.
- A writing sample of 6-8 pages of prose and/or poetry in English.
- A brief one-paragraph statement of purpose in English describing why writing is important to your life, and what you hope to learn at BTL.
- A writing sample of 2-5 pages of prose and/or poetry in either language in response to one of the following writing prompts:
- During breakfast you are startled by a heavy knock at the door. It is someone who demands something from you. Who is it, what does he/she need, and what happens next? Write a short story or poem.
- Write a short story or poem that contains three of the following objects and one place:
- Objects: old bicycle, uncomfortable couch, leaking canoe, sleeping puppy, love note, truth serum.
- Places: cruise ship, forest with a lake, empty street at dawn, deserted dance club.
Please e-mail applications to AmmanExchanges@state.gov no later than February 15, 2015.
*School essays and other non-fiction writing will not be accepted.