Returning to the United States on an Expired U.S. Passport:
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021. See this page for more information.
Negative COVID-19 Test Required for Entry into the United States
Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States, two years of age and older, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel as well as an attestation of the authenticity of the test results. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions. For more guidance about waivers to this policy, please see the waiver information underneath the section on services below.
New CDC Policy on Importing Dogs into the United States
On June 14, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a Notice of Temporary Suspension of Dogs Entering the United States from High-Risk Rabies Countries suspending the importation of dogs from countries classified by the CDC as high risk for dog rabies AND countries that are NOT at high risk if the dogs have been in high-risk countries during the previous 6 months. Eligible individuals can apply for a CDC Dog Import Permit. For more information, please contact CDC or U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
The Consular Section currently provides all services to U.S. Citizens by appointment Sunday through Thursday between 08:00 a.m and 10:30 a.m. The Consular Section is closed on U.S. and Jordanian holidays. You can book a U.S. passport appointment through our appointment system. For all Consular Report of Birth Abroad appointments, please email AmmanCRBA@state.gov. Please note that starting July 1, 2021, the Consular Section will provide full notarial services, which can be booked using this appointment system.
To be allowed entry into the consular section for routine (non-emergency) services, you must make an appointment online. If you can conduct your business by mail or online, please do so. Please note that if you do not have an appointment or if the particular service you need does not require a personal appearance at the Embassy, you will be instructed to contact us by email.
Applicants will be required to wear masks and use hand sanitizer during their appointment. Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment. If you arrive more than 15 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, you will not be permitted to enter the Embassy, and you will have to re-schedule your appointment.
Information about Waivers to the COVID-19 Testing Requirement
Waivers to the testing requirement may be granted by the CDC on an extremely limited basis when extraordinary emergency travel (like an emergency medical evacuation) must occur to preserve someone’s health and safety, and/or testing cannot be completed before travel. There are no waivers available for individuals who test positive for COVID-19. Individuals – or air carriers seeking to allow boarding by potentially qualifying individuals – who believe they meet the criteria for a waiver should contact U.S. Embassy Amman at AmmanCDCWaiver@state.gov, and provide the information below. The U.S. Embassy will then submit the request to the CDC for consideration.
- The following information must be provided for each passenger:
- Name (family name/surname, given name), passport number and country
- Cell phone number including country code of passenger or head of household if family unit
- Email address of passenger or head of household if family unit
- U.S. destination address
- Is U.S. destination home address?
- Departure date
- Flight itinerary (list all flights)
- Name of submitting entity if different from passenger
- Name of company submitting on behalf of passenger(s) (if applicable)
- Name of point of contact submitting on behalf of passenger(s) (if applicable)
- Phone and email address for POC submitting waiver request on behalf of passenger(s) (if applicable)
- Purpose of travel to the U.S. (provide brief explanation of why urgent travel is needed and how travel will contribute to health and safety of passengers(s))
- Justification for testing waiver (e.g. no testing available, impact on health and safety)
- Documentation to support justification for test waiver, if available (e.g. medical records or orders for medical evacuation)
Please ensure that you attach all the required information to your email. The Embassy cannot submit an incomplete waiver request to the CDC.