Please read the information below before contacting the American Citizens Services unit for an appointment:

If your child born abroad (outside of the United States) has a possible claim to U.S. citizenship, you may apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  This is a basic citizenship document that establishes your child’s status as a U.S. citizen. We recommend that you apply for a CRBA as soon as possible after a child’s birth; you may also apply for the child’s first passport at the same time.  Once you receive the CRBA and the passport, you can then apply for a social security number.  Please note that a CRBA cannot be issued to a child over the age of 18.

Appointments for this service are required. To set up an appointment, please send an email to with a scanned copy of a completed Form DS-2029. Appointments are available Sunday through Thursday from 9:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., excluding U.S. and Jordanian public holidays and the last Thursday of the month.

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in posession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.