Marriage in Jordan

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The U.S. Embassy in Amman cannot perform marriages in Jordan, even for U.S. citizens.

Any person wishing to marry in Jordan must do so according to Jordanian law. In Jordan there are no civil marriages and all marriages must be performed according to a recognized religious tradition. While Muslim men may marry non-Muslim women, Muslim women are forbidden from marrying non-Muslim men.

If you are marrying according to the Muslim tradition, then the marriage must be performed by a sheikh and according to the laws of the Sharia Court. If you are marrying according to the Christian tradition, then the marriage must be performed according to the Ecclesiastical court. Those interested in marrying in Jordan should contact a Jordanian religious figure to learn of the latest requirements.

Proof of Eligibility to Marry

U.S. citizens marrying in Jordan may be asked by Jordanian authorities to obtain a proof of marital status from the Embassy. As the U.S. government maintains no centralized records of marriages and divorces, the Embassy cannot provide you with such a document. The Embassy can provide you with a letter (PDF 75 KB) stating that the Embassy provides no proof of eligibility to marry, which can then be given to the official performing the marriage.

Notarization of U.S. marriage and divorce documents

The U.S. Embassy cannot authenticate, notarize, or make true copies of state-issued civil documents. Those wishing to use such documents in Jordan should first have them notarized by the Department of State’s Office of Authentications in Washington, then by the Jordanian Embassy in Washington, and finally by the Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Amman.

Multiple Marriages/Polygamy

Polygamy is legal for Muslim men according to Jordanian law. The Embassy can neither stop a man from taking a second, third, or fourth wife in Jordan, nor can it get such marriages dissolved. While such marriages will not be recognized by the U.S. government and are not valid for immigration benefits, they are legal in Jordan.

Divorce in Jordan

Divorce in Jordan must be performed according to religious law. Divorce in the Roman Catholic and Orthodox traditions, while technically forbidden, may be performed under certain circumstances. In the Muslim tradition the processes for husband-initiated divorce and wife-initiated divorce differ. Those wishing to divorce in Jordan should contact a lawyer to learn of the requirements.

Marriage-based Immigration

Citizens are reminded that entering into a marriage contract for the sole purpose of facilitating the immigration of an alien is illegal and can result in serious punishments, such as fines and imprisonment, for both the citizen and the alien.

“Katib Al Kitab” and Its Legal Implications

Please note that the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) (K-1) visa is created to enable you to travel to the United States in order to marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) in the United States within 90 days from your arrival date to the United States.   Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter (during the visa interview).    By signing a marriage contract (Katib Al Kitab), you are considered to be legally and officially married under both Jordanian and U.S. law, regardless of consummation of marriage or the holding of a wedding party.

If you and your U.S. citizen petitioner have signed the Katib Al Kitab, or intend to sign before travel to the U.S., you are not eligible for a K-1 visa. If you have signed the Katib Al Kitab, your spouse must file for a family-based immigrant visa (CR1 form I-130) and, if he or she wishes, your spouse may also file a K-3 visa (form I-129F).

For information on filing an immigrant visa petition for your spouse of fiance(e), please see our page on Immigrant Visas.