Passports for Minors

Instructions for a Passport for a Minor Under Age 16

  1. All passport applications require an appointment, including passports for minor children.  Both parents/guardians and the child should attend the appointment.  If only one parent will attend the appointment, please review the documentary requirements below carefully or the passport issuance may be delayed.

     You must bring to your appointment:

    • Passport Application, completed online and printed. Handwritten is not accepted.
    • 2 x 2 inch photo of applicant.
    • Non-Refundable Application Fee, payable in dollars, dinars, or by credit card only. Exact change is preferred if paying in dollars or dinars.
    • Previously issued U.S. passport, with a copy of the biographic information page.
    • If your previously issued U.S. passport has been lost, bring a DS-64 explaining the loss or theft of the passport.
      • If the previously issued U.S. passport has expired, or has been lost or stolen, bring a currently valid secondary government-issued photo ID (passport, national ID, driver’s license, or similar)
    • Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship, with a copy, if you have these.


    Applicants under the age of 16 must also bring:

    • The child’s original birth certificate or CRBA, with a copy. A hospital-issued certificate is not accepted.
    • Each parent or guardian’s currently valid government-issued photo ID, with a copy.
    • If one or both parents/guardians are absent, but consent to the passport issuance:
      • An original, signed DS-3053 form consenting to issuance of the passport for each absent parent/guardian which authorizes the person who brings the child to the passport appointment to sign the application. This form must be signed and notarized, and is valid for 90 days following signing.
      • A copy of the ID used as proof of identity when each DS-3053 was signed and notarized
    • If one or both parents/guardian are absent and do not consent to the issuance, please bring a court order showing the applying parent/guardian has sole custody of the child.
    • If one parent/guardian has passed away, please bring the original death certificate or Consular Report of Death Abroad.