The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens avoid travel to Al-Sarih, Irbid Governorate. Since May 8, 2017, there have been 11 documented violent incidents in the area, including assaults, arson, and two fatalities. Due to the increase in violence, the U.S. Embassy has temporarily restricted travel for U.S. government personnel to the Al-Sarih area. U.S. citizens should continue to monitor the news for further developments and maintain security awareness. The map below marks the approximate location of the Al-Sarih (Al-Sareeh) area.
For additional detailed information regarding Jordan and travel abroad:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, including the Department of State’s Travel Warning for Jordan and Country Information for Jordan.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Amman is located on Al-Umawiyyeen Street, Abdoun, P.O. Box 354. The telephone number is  (6) 590-6000, the fax number is  (6) 592-4102 and our email is Amman-ACS@state.gov. The after-hours emergency telephone number is  (6) 590-6500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.