Please follow the detailed instructions available at www.ustraveldocs.com.
The U.S. Embassy Amman has introduced new non-immigrant visa appointment scheduling and payment procedures. You may now fill out a DS-160 online application, pay your $160 US non-refundable Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee, and schedule an appointment at www.ustraveldocs.com. All appointments must be made through www.ustraveldocs.com. Please visit www.ustraveldocs.com before paying the MRV fee.
This State Department web page has more information and instructions on how to use the DS-160.
Important Reminder: If there is no activity for 20 minutes or more in the process of completing this online application, your session will expire and all entered data will be lost.
Visa Types for Temporary Visitors has more information on specific visa categories, including what you need to complete before the visa interview.
The DS-160 is a fully integrated online application form that is used to collect the necessary application information from persons seeking a nonimmigrant visa. The DS-160 is submitted electronically to the post where the applicant will apply for the visa via the Internet. Consular Officers will use the information entered on the DS-160 to process the visa application and, combined with a personal interview, will determine an applicant’s eligibility for a nonimmigrant visa.
Before accessing the form, please note the following points:
- The site does experience intermittent connectivity issues. As you complete the form, save a copy onto your hard drive and ‘save’ often;
- Review the Department of State photo specifications before uploading the photograph. If your photo does not comply, it will be rejected;
- Select the correct location at which you will apply for the visa.
- Provide accurate and complete information in answer to the questions. You will be given an opportunity to review the information before submitting the form. If you submit a DS-160 that is inaccurate or incomplete, your application will be rejected;
- Select the correct visa category under “Purpose of Travel to the United States” in the “Travel Information Section” – the drop down list will appear in answer to the question” Are you the Principal Applicant”. If you do not see your visa category, click on “Other” for further information.
- If asked the question “Have you attended any educational institutions other than an elementary school”, you should list all educational institutions you have attended since the age of 11.
- If asked the question “Have you traveled to any countries within the last five years?”, you should list all countries you have traveled to in the last five years.
Important Note: If the application is incomplete or inaccurate, you will be required to reschedule your appointment and complete the application. Therefore, ensure that the DS-160 application is accurately completed including Travel History and Education. You may complete the DS-160 by navigating to the link on this page or through www.ustraveldocs.com.
Note: Medical treatment applicants are still subject to Section 214(b) of the Immigration & Nationality Act and must convince the officer that they are not intending to abandon an overseas residence during this short-term visit. Receiving an expedited appointment has no bearing on the decision regarding your qualification for the visa.
First, follow the general instructions above, including scheduling an online appointment.
If you have an urgent need to travel, you may request an expedited appointment through the appointment website: www.ustraveldocs.com. We will consider your request and decide whether it meets our criteria for urgent, medical travel. We will inform you of our decision within three business days. NOTE: You must schedule an appointment through www.ustraveldocs.com before you may request an expedited appointment.
If you are physically disabled and require special assistance on the day of your interview, please e-mail Support-Jordan@ustraveldocs.com with your passport number and appointment date, so we can make the appropriate accommodation.
The day of the interview, please bring:
- The medical diagnosis and prognosis by a doctor in Jordan, detailing the previous treatment and stating if the required treatment is available in Jordan.
- Written verification (letter or fax) from a medical doctor or hospital in the United States stating they have reviewed your medical history and detailing what treatment they can offer; an appointment date; the duration of the treatment and recovery; and all associated costs.
- Proof of ability to pay for the medical treatment, recovery, and travel (i.e., bank statements).
The Nonimmigrant Visa Unit considers expedited appointment requests in limited cases for emergency medical travel and for students and exchange visitors.
- First, apply on-line and schedule an appointment.
- Send a request for an expedited appointment to Support-Jordan@ustraveldocs.com.
- Include your name, passport number, and the date of the appointment received on-line.
- If you are applying for emergency medical travel, include an explanation of the medical issue; treatment plan and treatment/recovery period, and include any appropriate supporting documentation.
- If you are a student or exchange visitor, state the name of the school/program and start date.
- Appointments are given on a case-by-case basis and there is no guarantee that an appointment can be expedited. Should the request be approved, the applicant will be contacted via email.
- Please note that all applicants are still subject to Section 214(b) of the Immigration & Nationality Act and must convince the officer they don’t intend to abandon a residence overseas during this visit to the United States.
- Receiving an expedited appointment has no bearing on the decision regarding your qualification for the visa.
Syrian applicants may apply for non-immigrant visas at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and the same standards under U.S. law and policy apply at each U.S. Embassy and Consulate where one applies for a visa.
During the visa interview Consular Officers look at each application individually and consider professional, economic, social and cultural ties as well other factors. All applicants must personally appear for an interview. A child must have a visa at the time of travel regardless of the child’s age or whether or not s/he is added to a parent’s passport. The application fee must be paid for each visa applicant.
Visas applications are approved or denied at the time of the interview, but approved visas are not issued the same day. Unless an applicant will remain in Jordan for at least two additional business days, most Syrian applicants will need their passport to return home. If your case requires additional administrative processing, please contact our call center in Jordan: 962-6-250-9955 or U.S.: 1-703-520-2242 for the status of your case.
To schedule an appointment and read more information about applying for a non-immigrant visa in Amman, please visit the non-immigrant visa section ofwww.ustraveldocs.com.
Visa Renewal Service
To facilitate the renewal process for tourist and business visas, the Consular Section accepts renewal applications for B1/B2 visas without requiring a personal interview. In many cases, applicants do not need to appear at the Embassy at all.
However, to be able to qualify for the renewal process, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a multiple-entry 5 years B1/B2 visa;
- Your visa is either unexpired, or expired less than one year ago;
- You are applying for another B1/B2 visa for tourism or business;
- No visa application has been denied since the issuance of the visa you want to renew; and
- If you are not Jordanian, you must legally reside in Jordan (foreign residents should present their residency card at the time of the appointment).
If you are renewing in accordance with the above requirements, your interview with the consular officer will be waived, and your application will be evaluated internally. In some cases, your presence may be required at the Embassy to provide fingerprints, if you are between the ages of 14 and 79 and have not provided fingerprints at a previous interview. If during the evaluation of your application the consular officer needs more information to decide if you are eligible for the visa or not, they may request your presence for an in-person interview. Syrian applicants are not eligible for the Visa Renewal Service.
How to Apply for Visa Renewal Service
if you meet the requirments listed above, you may be eligible for visa renewal processing.
To apply for this service complete the following steps:
- Complete the Non Immigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
- Log-in to our online applicant system and create a profile to pay the visa application (MRV) fee. once logged in choose ” Schedule appointment”. As you go through the process you will answer the drop-boc questions which will evaluate your eligibility to apply for a visa without an interview.
- After you answer the questions , you will be prompted to pay the visa fee. if you are eligible to apply for a visa without an interview, you will print out the “Application Drop-Box Letter” which you will include with your visa application to be mailed.
- Gather your DS-160 confirmation page, MRV fee receipt , current and previous passports,photo and a letter explaining your travel purpose and itinerary. Depending on the visa category, you may require additional documentation and a reciprocity fee. Please refer to your specific visa category page for a dditional required documents.
- Go to one of the Aramex locations specified here. Take your application , Drop-Box letter and all documents required with a mailing envelope to enclose your documents. A receipt with the tracking number will be given to you. There is no charge for this transaction.
- Aramex will deliver your documents to the U.S embassy.
- At the end of the visa adjudication process, the U.S embassy will return your documents and your passport to you at the chosen document delivery address in your profile. when the documents are dispatched you will receive an email with the tracking number. you can change the delivery address by accessing your profile. If issued , your passport will contain your visa.
Important Note: the use of mail-in service does not guarantee visa issuance. In some cases applicants may still be required to appear for a visa interview. Examples of this include incomplete and/or inaccurate applications.
14 and Adults over the Age of 79
If you are renewing your visa in accordance with the above requirements, and you are a child under the age of 14 and an adult over the age of 79, then you do not need to be physically present to renew your visa. These applicants are not required to have their fingerprints taken, and for that reason, a family member or other representative can deposit the passport with the visa to be renewed. Syrian applicants are not eligible.
Provide All Your Passports
If you are renewing your visa, please remember to provide all your current and expired passports. Applicants with dual nationalities should present passports for both countries. It is important that you provide all your passports when you apply for your visa renewal so that the consular officer can review your travel patterns for the complete time period. If you do not provide all requested passports, you could be required to complete a personal interview in order to decide your case.
If the passport containing the visa has expired, you will need to first renew the passport, and then deposit both the new and all old passports at the Consular section. Additionally, all applicants must pay the $160 visa fee, and bring a printed copy of the confirmation page of the online DS-160 form as well as a 2×2 color photograph.
NOTE: Please keep in mind that submitting an application under this visa renewal service does not guarantee approval of a visa. The adjudication of all visa applications must comply with all U.S. rules and regulations regarding visa issuance.
Diplomats and Government Officials
Diplomats or officials of the Government of Jordan or elsewhere who are traveling on official business:
- Please contact the protocol section of the MFA or your own embassy’s management personnel for information about how to apply. No personal appearance or visa fee is required.
- Please note: Nonimmigrant visas are issued according to the purpose of travel. Government, diplomatic or military officials traveling for tourism or for purposes that are inherently non-official in scope, are generally not eligible for official or diplomatic visas, even when such travel is funded by government agencies.